Wednesday, September 9, 2009

"He will bring them death, and they will love him for it." - Gladiator

If you have never seen this, it is almost indescribable. Chad and I were on the city bus, to head out towards the ancient part of the city of Rome. There you are, dodging in and out of traffic on a busy city street, and the WHAM! There it is! One second you are on the city street, and the next you stumble on the ancient ruins of what was an empire. It took my breath away, and, not surprisingly, brought me to tears. (Yep, they call me "Shem" for a reason.)

The ruins that sit just outside of the Colosseum. Look how HUGE they are compared to the guy walking by...

We didn't take any tours, save one. We did take a guided one here. It was so amazing to walk around something that was constructed a few thousand years ago, when the world was a completely different place. "Human rights" was a phrase that had NEVER been uttered or conceived. Death was a sport, and people loved it. It was a very frightening place, then and now, but amazing, nonetheless.
You can see where the floor rotted out, and the tunnels underneath. This is where the slaves and animals were held before the "sport."


From inside the Colosseum.




This was on the ground, just a random piece of "column" from a few thousand years ago...

We have pics of us kissing from every place we have been, so I thought this should be no different!
This is where the Emperor sat and watched the "show."

I took the one below... Dang, I am good!

Up next, my favorite Roman sight, The Pantheon!

5 comments: