Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Top Ten!

This morning, as I was giving Rachel a riding lesson on her new pony, Chili, her mother asked me a great question. "What is the best horse movie of all time?"

Now, if you know me at all, there is only one answer. The Man From Snowy River. Of course there is the sequel as well, Return to Snowy River.

So this conversation got me thinking, what is my Top Ten Greatest Horse Movies Of All Time list? Some people think about sports, finances, politics, ect. This is the stuff I think about. I must be more like my movie addicted brother after all! He can tell you anything about any movie, especially if it involves the words "Bruce," "Willis," "Rambo," "Rocky," and "Die Hard."

Anyway, this list has been on my mind all day, and now that I have gone through countless post-it notes, arranging and rearranging, I think I finally have it!

#10 Sylvester - A movie with Melissa Gilbert. A little corny, but it's about Charlie, a 16-year-old orphan struggling to raise her two younger brothers. She endeavors to train a wild horse she names Sylvester and turns him into an Olympic jumping champion. Whew! I love that it was filmed at the Kentucky Horse Park. You have to ignore the fact that they used about 15 different grey horses, and they all look very different!
#9 Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken - a 1991 film about Sonora Webster, a rider of diving horses. It is based on events in the life of Sonora Webster Carver. PS- The dude in the movie is HOT!
#8 The Black Stallion - Alec Ramsey rescues a stallion from a boat crash. The book series is amazing. Number 8 also includes The Black Stallion Returns- Alec Ramsey rescues the stallion from Arab Sheiks. Again, the book series is amazing!
#7 Dreamer - Kurt Russell, Dakota Fanning, and Kris Kristofferson star in the movie about an injured horse they rehabilitate, bond with, and then race in the Breeders Cup. What about that doesn't scream GREAT MOVIE! #6 Spirit-Stallion of the Cimmaron. I am a sucker for animated horse movies. I even bought this video game, and went around as Spirit, and saved the herd!

#5 Black Beauty- The movie made in the 90's was great. The book is the greatest book of all time. Thank you Anna Sewell. With this book, she brought to light the suffering of the animals over a hundred years ago!

#4 Phar Lap - Starring Tom Burlinson, who is also the star of #2 and #1. True story about an Australian Race Horse. Get your tissues ready. I am actually getting chills just remembering this movie!
#3 Seabiscuit - We all have seen it. It's awesome. I love the fact that Hollywood made a GREAT horse movie! I have loved Toby McGuire and Gary Stevens ever since.
#2 The Return to Snowy River. It actually flip-flops with number one. I like the one I am watching at the time the best!
and the greatest horse movie, of all time... Duh. I already said it!

#1 The Man From Snowy River - Beautiful scenery, hot guy, wild horses, incredible stunt riding, romance.. Come on! What more do you need?!

2 comments:

  1. We have a lot of movies to watch! The diving horses has me fascinated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you mean, Return to Snowy River Part II: The Legend Continues?

    And what about Hidalgo? (Never saw it myself). Or Lightning: The White Stallion, which I remember suffering through as a kid because you wanted to see it?

    Here's a list of horse movies, by the way.

    ReplyDelete